Thursday, March 18, 2010

#6

Switzer, J. M. (2010). Bridging the math map. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 15(7), 400-405.

Switzer talked about Bridging the Math Gap between elementary, middle, and high school math by building off of what students have already learned. In order to do this, teachers must know what and how their students have learned in previous schooling. This is necessary for students to be able to make connections between concepts from different math classes. Hence, middle school and high school teachers must understand what knowledge their students are starting with and build from there so students are able to see how to use what they already know.

I agree with Switzer's ideas and, as a student, I understand that learning based on information already learned is encouraging and makes new material much easier to understand. I just wonder what a teacher should do if they do not think that the way their students have been taught is the most effective way. I guess, they should determine whether or not it would benefit the students to switch or try to correct what the students have learned to what they believe is the better way.


5 comments:

  1. Your topic sentence is good. It clearly stated what the article was about. I do feel that the body of the paragraph could have gone into a bit more depth about the article though. I wasn't really all that interested in wanting to find out more about the subject because I didn't feel that it offered me anything more than I already new. I think I would have tried a few more examples of how the article showed teachers how to bridge the gap. Good job though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you had a very clear topic sentence. Your tone between both paragraphs was very consistent and professional sounding. I agree with Scott though, I didn't really feel like learned anything new and wasn't compelled to ask questions or think about what you wrote. The conciseness was nice though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything you said very clearly related to your topic sentence, which was good. You gave a very concise summary, which gives an overlook of the main point, but I would have enjoyed having a more in-depth explanation of the points you make. Giving examples of what he says may be helpful. You did well at paraphrasing and having a logical flow to your paragraph. It was very easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your entry was very easy to read and had a nice flow and professional voice.

    I didn't feel that your last paragraph fulfilled the prompt. It had a nice topic sentence to start you off, but then you didn't give any facts or examples to support it. In fact, it almost seems you gave me an example the other way. What are some reasons you agree with Switzer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely stuck to one main topic, which flowed rather nicely. I could tell you endeavored to keep your personal opinions out of the summary. I did wish for a little more info on the topic, however; your post seemed rather short. Maybe by inserting a few examples and quotes from the article like the prompt asked for would have done the trick. Oh, and good topic sentence. :)

    ReplyDelete